Your team is feeling disconnected. Every day seems to be more of a struggle than the one before, making easy tasks turn into challenging issues.
What can you do?
The first thing I recommend is to begin your meetings (virtual or in-person) with a connection question.
- On a scale of 1-10, how are you doing personally and professionally?
- What are you grateful for this week?
- What has been your biggest challenge recently?
- How have you grown personally these past two years?
- What was your worst team experience? Best team experience?
- What is your favorite movie or book and why?
- What superhero would you like to be and why?
By asking questions that aren’t business-related, you show your team you care about them personally, not just professionally. And that’s what it takes to meaningfully connect.