The word “power” has many different meanings with many different realities. Like most things, they evolve.
Exploring the shifting modern realities of power and leadership, Michelle K. Johnston, PhD., author of the book, The Seismic Shift in Leadership: How to Thrive in a New Era of Connection, sits down with Dr. Sharon Melnick, a Harvard Medical School-trained business psychologist who is a best-selling author, speaker, executive coach, and host of The Power Shift podcast.
The Power Shift podcast is all about redefining the idea of “power” and how we use it for good, not with the traditional idea of force. Listen to thought-provoking and practical interviews to help you understand power from every angle– how a person gets ‘in her power’, how power works in the workplace, and how power can shift and be shared
In this episode, they discuss:
- Dr. Michelle’s experience as a young professor trying to use power which disconnected her from her authentic self.
- The client stories spurred her to search for what was missing in traditional power structures.
- What The Seismic Shift in Leadership is
- What true power really is and why its a superpower
- Dr. Michelle’s approach to the new realities of a virtual workplace that are opportunities to connect with team members and their burping babies, rambunctious dogs, and kitchen remodels
- The “Treat Me Like A Human” revolution she’s starting
- Helping perfectionists learn that mistakes are acceptable and a surer path to innovation than perfection